About Me

My photo
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Nothing describes me better than my passion for learning and the zest for fighting battles with myself. The blog here started to put my creative thoughts has been constantly shaping up as I move on and for the better. All of you are welcome to join me on this exciting journey of mine.

Saturday, May 16, 2009

How important is Design?

Dear Readers, lately I've been reading 'The pursuit of WOW!" by Tom Peters and I want to share some of the interesting insights from the book in few of my next posts.

The one about Design goes this way:

"Vital.For products, sure. But, paradoxically, design is more important for services."

And then Tom goes about quoting Harvard marketing guru Ted Levitt: "If your product is tangible(plane,boat,car,penknife), distinguish yourself from the herd by emphasizing intangibles(e.g.,service). If your product is intangible (banking services, travel services), distinguish yourself from the masses by emphasizing the tangible- to wit, design. "

The example of FedEx comes next.

"Fedex which offers timely delivery service also stands out on the tangibles.

Tangibles, such as spiffy-and clean-trucks.(why, for God's sake, don't companies realize that trucks are a fabulous/awful form of advertising?) And easy-to-use forms.

(Why, once again, don't most businesses understand that forms are part of their signature and therefore great/awful advertisements for their businesses?)

So if you're in a service business, worry a lot if you're not working on the tangibles." says Peters.

I found this to be interesting and I am not sure whether our marketing fellows already learn about it, its definitely worth sharing.

Please post your valuable comments to make this blog post worth.

1 comment:

pj_king said...

Tangibles and intangibles...not good without the other...valuable thought