About Me

My photo
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Nothing describes me better than my passion for learning and the zest for fighting battles with myself. The blog here started to put my creative thoughts has been constantly shaping up as I move on and for the better. All of you are welcome to join me on this exciting journey of mine.

Friday, April 24, 2009

The SWEET side of Vowels

Ever wondered the reason for having nicknames for all your good friends? What makes you decide the nickname (if it’s derived from the true one)? Or even the nicknames we are called at home by?

Well if we observe the many nicknames that surround us, there definitely lies an answer to all these Qs.

I feel that it’s the “sweet” factor that makes a nickname likable.
Think of some of your dear friends’ names and the nicknames you have given them. Do you observe that each of the resultants have a common factor towards the end of them? The nicknames of your sweet friends will definitely be having the “sweet vowels” as I call them, towards their end. The phonetics being aa, i, y, ee, u and oo.

For instance, consider a Siddhu, an Ashu, a Puttu, a Ribu, a Gomzy, a Guddu, a Jeny and the like.

Not convinced ? Noticed that those of your friends whose names already end with these sweet vowels, have not got a derived nickname?

Probably because the name is already “sweet”! Most such names end with aa, i and y.

You might choose to differ and I would love to get your views on this very banal interest of mine.

No comments: