About Me

My photo
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Nothing describes me better than my passion for learning and the zest for fighting battles with myself. The blog here started to put my creative thoughts has been constantly shaping up as I move on and for the better. All of you are welcome to join me on this exciting journey of mine.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Coming out of the CoW DunG


Wondering HOW? Well before you make an opinion that Sid has probably gone mad, let me make it clear that it’s not our sacred Cow’s dung that I am talking about, rather it’s about the “Conventional Wisdom of the Dominant Group”. The acronym was just for the hygiene factor associated with it, where it is considered as sacred by a few and filthy by others. Isn’t it the same with the CoW DunG that I am talking about?

How tied we are to what prevails around us, how little is our resistance to the many generally accepted facts, maybe we are all too passive or maybe we don’t want to come out of the cozy and warm comfort zones that we have formed amidst the CoW DunG. And those who actually tend to do so are either doomed or go a long way ahead, the initial tough times being common in both the cases. Don’t we have the example of the great Galileo who went ahead against the prevailing myth that Earth was the center of the universe to the more rightful one of Sun being the center of the solar system (though the difference between solar system and universe was not very clear then) and had to suffer hardships by the decree of the Holy Office in Rome.

I am confused. Can someone suggest what is the best way ahead…..staying in or coming out of the cowdung?

I find it appropriate to mention that the term has been in use for quite some time though more in the context of techniques for problem solving and of course more often in its true sense!!:-)

2 comments:

Sanat said...

Sid,finally i read your post!!

I believe that instead staying out of Cow DunG..coming out of it is important.. by this what i mean is we should know the conventional thinking but not get stuck to it.. but the fact remains that we must know it to come out of it.. you cant be ignorant.. coz in that case we may land up in cow dung without even knowing it which is worse.

pj_king said...

loved the post :) ... my take is don't accept the cow dung as they serve it to you... question it, analyze it,verify it ,think over it and if you are not satisfied yup you are right its cowdung